Monday, September 5, 2011

College book costs

If my girlfriend were to have bought her books from the book store it would have cost her $1100 which is an outrageous amount in today's society.  The fact that we are already paying thousands of dollars to attend is not enough and they try to rob us at the book store.  I believe that the tuition that we pay should include the cost of the book because how are u supposed to take a class without a book.  In high school you are not required to purchase your book and i don't believe that we should have to at the college level.

4 comments:

  1. Indeed. Look at it this way, though. At least we don't go to a huge university of over 40,000 students, where tuition for a year is about $50,000. I suppose the school has to make money somehow, but it is no fun when it is at our expense. Not to mention parking permits when they keep doing construction at the wrong time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book prices are unbelievable and there is no reason why student should have to pay that kind of money. I was fortunate enough this semester the rent a couple of my books but now if they get slightly damaged (bent corners, etc) I have to pay full book price + $25 for a replacement. Now I have to treat the book like its a priceless artifact. It's just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that book costs are outrageous, but like James said, the University, especially one of this size has to make money. Unfortunately for us it comes down to books. As long as there are cheap alternatives elsewhere, then I see this as mainly a non-issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that they need to be more careful on the books they make us buy, half the time they buy a new edition, but they are not going to use it the next year. Or you rip out like three pages for class, but can't sell the book back. Atleast they started letting us rent books this term to save some money.

    ReplyDelete